22 Nov, 2021
Nine is Australia’s largest locally owned media company with investments spanning television, video on demand, print, digital, and radio. Nine’s assets include the Nine Television Network, video on demand platform 9Now, talkback radio stations 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR, major mastheads such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and Australian Financial Review, digital properties such as nine.com.au, 9Honey, Pedestrian.TV and CarAdvice, subscription video platform Stan, and majority investments in Domain and Future Women.
Australia's leading broadcast video on demand platform 9Now offers a destination for consumers around Australia to catch up on their favourite programs anywhere, anytime, on the device of their choosing. We have a vacancy in our North Sydney office for a Software Engineer with 9Now Engineering.
The 9Now API team at Nine is a high-performing group of software engineers, engineers in test, designers and product managers building the next generation of online TV in Australia. We are responsible for serving content and personalised data to all clients including 9Now.com.au website, 9Now mobile apps iOS and Android, Connected TVs and consoles. Our services are designed, built, tested and maintained to provide the best user experience to millions of Australians every day.
- Lead the creation of high profile, performing, scalable, available, and stable API services.
- Coach and provide technical mentoring to other software engineers within the team.
- Monitor team productivity and act as a technology evangelist when required to initiate change within the team.
- Research and suggest new techniques & technologies that may be beneficial.
- Seek improvements to current systems, work practices and processes.
- Share knowledge and expertise amongst peers.
Skills and Experience
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong grasp of OO/functional design, refactoring and similar techniques to create modular, testable and maintainable solutions.
- Understanding of service-oriented architecture and RESTful web services.
- Sound knowledge of defensive coding practices to address common security vulnerabilities.
- Understanding of working in agile environments such as Scrum or Kanban.
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD).
- Experience with Continuous Integration (CI) and test automation.
- Knowledge of AWS Services.
- Knowledge of GraphQL will be a plus.
- Passionate about simplicity. Understating that a developer's job is to provide solutions to problems, not writing code.
- Understanding that there is no “Right Way” to build software, and that the only way to build good software is by adapting theory to fit the needs of the client, codebase, team, tools, and organisation.
- Strong problem-solving ability to identify and address ‘root cause’ for systemic or regularly recurring issues.
- Regularly seeking input from others within the team, respecting opinions and different perspectives.
- Strong communication skills, able to present with confidence in front of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Displaying a commitment to quality and a thorough approach to the work.
- Appreciation for business objectives of a product/project.
Why we like working here
- Flexible hours and extended parental leave policy.
- Focus on career development through level up sessions, access to workshops, sponsored conference attendance, access to online material.
- Hackathons and themed showcases.
- Social Slack channels like #camping, #tabletop-gaming, #dad-jokes
100% Remote | Work From Home